Menu Created with Sketch.

Can I drive a Minibus

Driving a minibus
You might be able to drive a minibus if you hold a car driving licence and meet certain conditions - otherwise you’ll need to apply for a minibus licence.
View your driving licence information to see what vehicles you can drive.
If the minibus is not for ‘hire or reward’
You might be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers (it’s not for ‘hire or reward’).
Conditions you must meet
You can drive a minibus within the UK as long as the following conditions apply:
• you’re 21 or older
• you’ve had your driving licence for at least 2 years
• you meet the ‘Group 2’ medical standards if you’re over 70 - check with your GP if you’re not sure you meet the standards
• you’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
• the maximum weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes - or 4.25 tonnes including specialist equipment for disabled passengers, for example a wheelchair ramp
• you’re not towing a trailer
Driving a minibus abroad
You might be able to drive a minibus abroad. Contact the licensing authority in the country you’re visiting for more information.
Renew your driving licence if you’re 70 or over
If you’re 70 or over (or soon will be) and are renewing your driving licence, you need to:
• order a D2 application form
• download a D4 medical examination report - this must be filled in by a doctor
You should send both forms to the address in section F of the D2.
If you got your driving licence after 1 January 1997, you’ll need to apply for a minibus licence.
Minibus permit - if you need to charge running costs
You can apply for a minibus permit if you need to charge passengers, as long as:
• the vehicle can carry between 9 and 16 passengers
• you’re driving it for a voluntary organisation that benefits the community - for example an educational, religious or sports organisation
• the minibus service is only available for members of that organisation - not to the general public
• any charges are to cover running costs and are not for profit
You can apply for a minibus permit from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
The driver must be 21 or older.
Driving a minibus for profit
If you want to drive a minibus commercially, or if the above conditions don’t apply, you’ll need to apply for both a:
• minibus provisional entitlement, also known as a passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) licence
• public service vehicle (PSV) operator licence

See All

Customer Reviews

Featured Minibuses